Carpet. Who cares right?
Most people don’t think about their carpets that often, and that’s ok. I wouldn’t expect them to.
As somebody who makes their living cleaning, disinfecting, and deodorizing them, I do! I do lots and lots of research learning about the different types, colors, advantages, disadvantages, anatomy and installation of carpets. While it may seem mundane to the average person, when your business revolves around something, you learn it!
I found a great little web page with 50 interesting carpet facts. Some of these facts are historical, some scientific, some philosophical. But here are just a few that I found that help shed light on why we clean carpets in the way we do:
- The Norwalk virus or Norovirus (the virus that causes the stomach flu) can survive on an uncleaned carpet for a month or more.
- Microbiologists have identified air blown from a running vacuum cleaner as one of the five places in the home that has the highest numbers of germs. Other places include dish sponges, washing machines, bathroom toilets during a flush, and kitchen trash cans.
- Naphthalene is commonly found in carpet cleaners. In concentrated form, it is dangerous to breath and can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, and urinary irritation. It is a suspected carcinogen and can be toxic to children, infants, and pets.
- All carpet should be professionally cleaned a minimum of every 12 to 18 months.
- When properly cleaned and maintained, carpeting may improve the quality of air through trapping allergy-inducing dust and allergens. Most people, however, do not clean their carpets correctly, which can actually exacerbate allergies.
- Carpets in particular can become heavily infested with mites. The chemical benzyl benzoate will kill mites, but their dead carcasses can still be allergenic and will need to be vacuumed up afterward. A diluted solution of tannic acid can be sprayed onto the carpet to kill dust mites, but tannic acid can be dangerous to humans.
- A family kept falling ill with gastrointestinal problems because a leaky vacuum cleaner kept redepositing Salmonella germs from the carpet into the household air.
CitruSolution Cleans carpet, the right way!
Let’s address some of the facts above:
- Facts 1, 2, 6 and 7: CitruSolution never compromises on your carpet cleaning. For our flat rate price you ALWAYS receive the following: A full carpet clean, complete disinfect, deodorization and protectant. This is CRITICAL to our philosophy! Carpet cleaners who quote low prices and only use hot water can’t, and won’t disinfect your carpets! Viruses, mites, and bacteria are hearty little guys, and they need to be done away with by targeting them with a disinfectant.
- Fact 3: NONE of our products contain Naphthalene. All of our products are 100% non-toxic, and contain more natural carpet cleaning agents to ensure nobody in your family is exposed to harmful chemicals.
- Fact 4: Truth! The IICRC suggests that all carpets be professionally cleaned every 12-18 months. More often if you have pets, kids, or have allergies!
- Fact 5: Carpet serves as a “filter” for the air in your home. Air is forced down into the tiny cracks between your walls and your floor. A well maintained carpet can actually help you stay healthier
For the rest of the random/interesting/funny/gross/weird carpet facts, check out the link to the right: http://facts.randomhistory.com/2009/08/03_carpet.html
Owner- CitruSolution Carpet Cleaning of Orlando